Strategy X offers free hosting to mods and mod-related sites, with the following specifications:
- A freely chosable subdomain of the format yoursubdomain.strategy-x.com for your project. (Limited of course by existing subdomains.)
- Unlimited Traffic/bandwidth and hard-drive space1
- PHP, MySQL, CGI and the usual stuff.
- FTP and control panel access
- 10 e-mail addresses in the form of email@example.com
- A section and usergroup in the network's forums.
In addition, we offer several server-wide services that you are not required, but invited to use:
- Operation Bughouse, our bugtracking server
- Our Subversion version control server
- Other services, depending on demand and availability
The bugtracker is useful for mods and tool producers, as it prevents your forum from getting cluttered with bug-report-threads, and has an architecture specifically designed for bug-management (as opposed to general text in the forums), and can also be used to track feature requests. It has successfully been used by RockPatch for quite a while, and if you keep your issues up-to-date, it even automatically generates current roadmaps and changelogs for your project.
What we ask for in return
Our requirements are basically the same as on any other community hosting network:
- You obey the Terms of Service.
- You use only the forum section that comes with your forums, no seperate one.
- You use DCoder's News System. (This is a system written specifically to integrate with the forums - you have a news subforum, and every thread you create there becomes a news post.)
- You include our navigation bar, and put our button on your page.
- You do stuff. In the past, we've had problems with teams acquiring hosting, and then not even uploading a single index.html, barely using their forums. If you want to get hosted, we expect you to actually do something with that hosting.
1 Within the realms of reasonable usage - should your success lead to ressource usage on levels that threaten to use up the entire server's ressources just for you, we might have to find a solution that ensures the network as a whole stays online - but you'll have to be very successful for that. ;)